All parents want their child to do well in school and get a good education. Most people understand that doing homework, studying, and performing well on tests contribute to being a good student. I put together a short list of 5 additional lifestyle habits that I continually see the best students employing.
1) They Keep Track Of All Their Assignments: The most successful students have a dedicated notebook or planner where they write down every assignment, task, or activity they need to get done. They take this with them to every class so they can record various items throughout the day. When they get home, all their to-dos are in one place and they can schedule time on a calendar to complete them (I recommend Google Calendar).
2) They Maintain A School/Life Balance: Successful students and their parents understand that there has to be a balance between schoolwork and other life activities. It’s not healthy to spend all your time studying and doing homework. More learning may actually come from exploring other interests and developing skills not normally taught in school.
3) They Identify As A Good Student: This might be the most important trait of successful students. The best students are not afraid or embarrassed to identify as a good student and a “smart” person. Many times, students will tell me “I’m not smart,” or “I’m not good at math.” This way of thinking automatically decreases your chances of success in school. The best students have an intrinsic belief in themselves and they hold themselves to high academic standards.
4) They Understand The Learning Process: The best students understand that learning is a process and no one understands everything right away. We all start with the same amount of knowledge about the world (nothing! :) ) and the only way to learn is to try and fail until you get it right. They understand what helps them learn most effectively and employ those strategies during study sessions.
5) They Have A Healthy Lifestyle: Your brain needs several things to stay in optimal shape and help it work most effectively. It needs the right nutrients, it needs movement for oxygen and protein delivery, and it needs a positive mindset. Eating nutrient dense foods, exercising, and displaying gratitude are all common themes among the best students.